Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Front Door Facelift

One of my favorite pastimes is surfing the all-so-famous website Pintrest for DYI ideas. I'm not overly crafty, but I do excel in copying someone else idea! I came across this wonderful blog belonging to a mother of 2 who is obsessed with crafting. She posted a how-to for a DYI Front Step Hanger.

Here is the original picture used for my inspiration.

Picture & Project by kenziehand.blogspot.com
I first went to Home Depot and purchased a piece of 4x4 pine wood. They cut it to the height I wanted which was so wonderful since I live in an apartment and can't have a wood saw!


While they were cutting the 4x4 I found these wonderful cheat trim pieces. I bought them on site! This let me have a base and top without the extra cutting or pieces of wood.




I glued the trim to the pine and let it all rest and dry to solidity. I sanded down the entire thing once dried and coated it in a outdoor white paint we had in the closet. We found a hook that I liked and I got my hubby the install it since we don't have a power drill.

Next I made a sign. I cheated a little and bought a 2$ plaque and $0.60 letters at Michaels. I painted the plaque the blue we used in our room, again to save on the cost of paint, and glued on the letters.



Added a few hooks and some string and voila we had a hanging sing for the front! (Please excuse the terrible quality of my pictures.)


DYI really can be best over going out and buying something at the store, but remember note to spend too much in your materials. Make sure to price out your project BEFORE you start because sometimes it comes out costing much more than you anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment