Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Saw It - Made It - Ate It

Last week a friend of mine shared a recipe with my via Facebook. I'm always looking for new and inventive ideas for dinner to keep myself occupied in the kitchen, so I was excited to find this recipe easy-peasy.

I never knew Sweet and Sour Chicken would be possible in my kitchen, I've never really attempted anything "ethnic." I changed a few things to make it more conducive to the ingredients in my kitchen, and I think it turned out wonderfully!

Sweet and Sour Chicken
adapted from: Made it, ate it, loved it
 


Chicken Breading:
3-5 chicken breast
salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch (more as needed)
 3 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup canola oil
Rinse chicken, trim off fat or extras and then cut into 1 inch cubes. season with salt and pepper. Coat chicken in the cornstarch and then into eggs. Heat oil in large skillet. Cook chicken until browned. Place in 9/13 baking dish.

Sauce:
3/4 cups light brown sugar (changed from White sugar)
4 Tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Whisk until smooth. Then pour evenly over chicken. Turn chicken so the sauce gets on both sides and then put in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. turn chicken and then cook for 15 more minutes.

Here were my concerns -
1. I thought the egg would defeat the cornstarch and wipe it all off, It didn't!
2. I assumed the sauce would make the crispy chicken soggy, it only glazed and was delicious.
3. I changed the recipe to use BROWN SUGAR to make the sauce thicker, and used light for my figure.

I cooked up some white rice and mixed veggies for a delicious blend and served to our guests. I am very happy with the results and added a "*" to my recipe card for future use!

3 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely delicious! A must try for our home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure Baby Roo thoroughly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome, I downloaded into my recipes to try it out!

    ReplyDelete