Friday, March 21, 2014

For the Love of Muffins!!

Those who have been in my home for events know that I LOVE muffins!! Often I'll get inspired and bake up a whole batch of blueberry or banana or lemon muffins. The downfall is my husband doesn't eat many of them so they all end up in my tummy!

Unfortunately for this vice of mine, it doesn't fit too well in my new baby diet. So I have been on the hunt for tasty, low calorie muffins to test out and enjoy.

Wednesday for our Small Group Bible study, I decided I would use them all as guinea pigs for a new, light muffin recipe I found from Cooking Light magazine. I thought I'd share with you all.




Nutritional Information
Amount per serving (serving size: 1 muffin)
  • Calories: 182
  • Calories from fat: 28%     
  • Protein: 2.9g
  • Carbohydrate: 30.4g
  • Fiber: 0.6g
  • Cholesterol: 14mg
  • Sodium: 176mg       






Sour Cream Coffeecake Muffins

Ingredients:
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans (I declined on the pecans)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup egg substitute (I used egg whites)
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 7 3/4 ounces)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
 
Topping:
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
3 teaspoons fresh orange juice
Dash of salt
 
Preheat oven to 400°.
Combine first 3 ingredients; set aside (dark brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon).

Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add egg substitute; beat 3 minutes. Beat in sour cream, water, and vanilla.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture; add sour cream mixture. Stir just until combined.

Place 3 tablespoons brown sugar mixture in a small bowl; set aside. Sprinkle surface of batter with remaining brown sugar mixture. Gently fold batter 4 times.

Place 18 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups; coat liners with cooking spray. Spoon batter into prepared cups. Sprinkle batter evenly with reserved brown sugar mixture. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan immediately; place on a wire rack. Cool 10 minutes.

Combine powdered sugar, juice, and dash of salt in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Drizzle powdered sugar mixture evenly over muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment